3.12.2012

40 Days Fit - Day 20

It's a 5K, and you can do it.


Everyone needs to accomplish a 5K once in a while (or at least once). Again with my "it's an achievement" speech, but it really is. How many people can run a 5k? 100%... maybe just not all at the same speed, but that is ok. Being able to say you can run 3.1 miles at a time is an accomplishment.

When I did track in high school, my coach used to ask me if I would do the 2 mile loop with the "distance" runners, those who did the 1600 and 3200. I remember begging and pleading to get out of it because the thought of running for that long made me cringe. Fast forward 7 or 8 years later... and I've ran 26.2 miles all at once. I really want to go to my track coach and tell her this, because I am sure she wouldn't believe me.


A 5K is a great distance to train for. It is short enough that you won't get bored with training, and it is long enough to make you feel you reached a personal goal, especially when you are passing the walkers and kinda-sorta-not really runners. You can run for the whole time with this too without your body starting to ache and your knees screaming for relief.

I can't really offer suggestions on how to train for this race. Everyone is different, and I honestly haven't been a "couch to 5K" person in over 6 years. I don't really remember how to "start" running, since once you start you never really stop yourself. But, here are some great references I am always heading towards when I want to start training programs.

1. Map It from USATF - this website let's you plan out your route. You can't just focus on time, you need to also look at your distance (since you are training for distance). Here, you can also view routes others have created near you, or even make your own.

2. Run Georgia - to motivate yourself, sign up for a race! Then you'll have a deadline in mind. Be sure to pick a race far enough out so you can get your full training in before the big race!

3. Runner's World - also a great magazine, with questions to just about every running topic known to man (yes men, including bloody nipples)

4. Couch to 5K by Cool Runnings - I haven't used this schedule, but for starting out, I think it would be a great resource for creating a plan and getting your training together. I'd love to hear if anyone else has used this and what you think!

Also, check out my previous post about running gear. It would be really helpful!

Questions? Ask... Want a training buddy? Let me know! I'm always wanting to plan some runs with people. You push yourself more that way.


No comments:

Post a Comment