4.15.2012

Easter Sunday

I've been so busy the past few days, and I know this post is coming a little late, but I couldn't let these recipes go unshared! This weekend I didn't do much baking like Easter, but I did do some running. I broke my 5K PR again, at a time of 23:37 (7:37 mile pace) and with that also won in my age group - I got a medal - it was so exciting!



Lucky for me, I get to celebrate Easter at least twice - once with my dad and then with my mom. It also meant that I got to bake things twice. I had brunch at my dad's house, then a dinner with my mom. So, I decided on two different things to make. For dad's brunch, I made strawberry-lemon scones with lemon whipped topping, and then for my mom's dinner I made traditionally southern hummingbird cupcakes. Both of these things I hadn't made before, but the results were well worth making again.

Strawberry-Lemon Scones

Ingredients
- 2C Flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, cold
- 1 c heavy cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup diced strawberries

• Preheat oven to 425 F
• Using a food processor, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut the butter into multiple, smaller pieces and add into the processor. Do 12-20 long pulses. You don't want the batter smooth, just combined and the big butter chunks broken apart.


• Move the batter to a bowl and add the cream and beaten egg. Use a strong spatula or wooden spoon to combine (it gets tough).
• On a floured board, knead dough for 5-10 minutes, until it is smooth and soft. Add in the strawberries, in small patches at a time and kneading them into the dough.
• Pat the dough into a circle with the dough 1/2 to 1 inch thick, then cut into triangles.
• Lightly grease a baking sheet and place the dough so it has some room to expand while baking. At this point, I lightly glazed my scones with lemon curd, then sprinkled more strawberry pieces on top.


• Bake until golden brown, for about 15 minutes. Mine actually were a little dark. I would suggest waiting for a lighter color to keep them moist.


Lemon Whipped Topping

Ingredients
- Heavy whipping cream
- Lemon extract
- Confectioners sugar

Shake heavy whipping cream, a dash of lemon extract, and confectioners sugar together. I didn't measure these out, rather just adding confectioners sugar if it seems like the cream wasn't thickening up enough. Chill if you have time.



Hummingbird Cupcakes

For the hummingbird cupcakes, I used this recipe, adding whopper eggs and toasted coconut. For the cream cheese frosting, I used my typical recipe - 8oz cream cheese, 8oz unsalted butter, a tsp vanilla extract all beaten together, then the addition of confectioners sugar until the right consistency.



No comments:

Post a Comment