4.03.2012

40 Days Fit - Day 39

One more day to this little daily blogging series, and a little too early for Easter. Basically, I messed up Lent's schedule. But today I really don't care because I discovered quinoa.

It's nutty, yummy, and the perfect dish for a summer platter. I am all about using the slow cooker and having a nice warm meal or chili, but during the summer I want something a little less heavy, a little more fresh and probably not warm since it is already almost 90 degrees in Atlanta.

So tonight I made quinoa salad, and it was perfect. Cilantro, peppers, red wine vinegar and mini heirloom tomatoes made this dish come together and taste like perfection! The perfectly ripe mango on the side wasn't too bad either - mango is possibly my favorite fruit, ever.

I made a two serving portion so that I could have it for tomorrow for lunch or dinner. I didn't want to make a larger portion since I didn't know if the red wine vinegar would make the quinoa soggy. So, here is the two serving version, coming in at right about 250 calories and full of DELICIOUS!

The finished product, with mango slices as a side

Mini Heirloom Tomatoes - too pretty!

1/2 cup uncooked quinoa

2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp EVOO
salt and pepper to taste

1/2 bell pepper chopped(I used a yellow pepper)
1/2 cup halved tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
salt and pepper to taste
lime wedge

Cook the quinoa as directed (I used Trader Joe's, of course)

Mix the vinegar, EVOO and salt and pepper in a small bowl

Once the quinoa has cooled down after cooking, mix all ingredients together in a medium bowl and squeeze the lime over the mixture. EASY - enjoy!! (and go do 10 minutes of abs- you'll feel better about yourself, especially with swimsuit season coming so close!)

No comments:

Post a Comment